Monday, June 23, 2008

Shock and Awe

God’s creation is one of the most tangible testimonies to the indescribable power, passionate beauty, harmonious diversity, unfathomable imagination, and impenetrable mystery of God, only to name a few qualities to which nature gives evidence. I have seen some of the most notably awe inspiring natural wonders in the world and experienced the common reaction that makes these sights so notable: I felt my skin tingle, my breath leave me, and my senses seize due to the overwhelming sensuality of the view. I felt wonder, awe, joy, bliss, and most of all, reverence. I have heard it often repeated how anyone could witness any natural wonder and deny the evidence of God.

In the first book of The Chronicles of Narnia, The Magician’s Nephew, the young man Digory along with several other characters in the story witnessed the creation of Narnia by Aslan, symbol of Jesus Christ and the Word:

“In the darkness something was happening at last. A voice had begun to sing. It was very far away and Digory found it hard to decide from what direction it was coming. Sometimes it seemed to come from all directions at once. Sometimes he almost thought it was coming out of the earth beneath them. Its lower notes were deep enough to be the voice of the earth herself. There were no words. There was hardly even a tune. But it was, beyond comparison, the most beautiful noise he had ever heard. It was so beautiful he could hardly bear it.” (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician’s Nephew, C. S. Lewis).

In contrast to Digory’s observation, an evil witch and Digory’s despicable uncle who also witnessed the divine event found the voice terrible and uncomfortable, wishing it would stop, hating the one who’s singing was creating life from death, bringing light to darkness. The same is true for anyone who has seen the light but chooses to remain in darkness.

Worship in spirit and truth ushers us into the presence of the same God to whom his creation bears witness. If misdirected, worship loses its value. Respect and honor is lost as well, trivializing our most worthy Creator. Conclusively, the end result is loss of meaning.

Jesus promises that those who seek him will find him (Mat. 7:7). Trust this promise and you will find God. When you find him, you will understand worship. Like those who have found the evidence of him in his creation, you will wonder how anyone could fail to see the splendor of his majesty and not tremble.

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur
And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.
And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.
Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,
And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

"How Great Thou Art"
words & music by Carl G. Boberg and R.J. Hughes

No comments: